When it comes to shopping, there are a few easy rules to live by in order to do what you can for the planet.
Here are my top tips:
- Buy only what you NEED, not what you WANT. Be honest with yourself when it comes to what you really need. New work-out sneakers may be a need, while more holiday decorations are NOT.
- Buy good quality items. They will last much longer, and help reduce your environmental footprint over time. A bit of investigating before you make a decision never hurts.
- Check tags and shop locally made. The shorter something ships, the better, and by doing so you are supporting your local economy, and you are educating yourself about where many items you buy are made. Awareness is great. (Psst. Avoid Made in China!)
- Buy previously owned, or swap with your friends. Thrifting can be intimidating, online re-sale shops may be a good place to start, a way to ease into it and get comfortable with having things which have already been used.
- When you shop online try to buy many items from the same place at the same time to reduce shipping and trucking of your items. If you know you are coming back for more anyway, lump it together. Order together with friends and have it shipped to one address if you are a frequent online shopper.
Learn more about Sustainable Fashion in these movies:
Take a look around these webpages for inspiration on sustainable shopping:
- Bead and Reel – An ethical boutique
- USA Love List – Stuff we love: Made in USA
- Fair Trade USA – Every purchase matters
- Made in America Movement makers & brands
- Sustainably Chic – List of sustainable brands
- The Real Real – Luxury brands, but previously owned
- The Little Market – Fair-trade goods by women artisans
- Thread Up – Women’s & Kids’ Second Hand Fashion, sell and buy
Or head to the List of Brands page HERE