Hello everyone! Welcome to a new decade :)
I’m going to cut straight to the point; Can we do a repeat of “Golden Twenties” but do it better than last time so we avoid a world war in the thirties? Please?
OK, thank you.
I always blog at the beginning of the year to reflect and set some goals. Last year was good. We added our forth and final family member, Baby Lau. We got to visit Yellowstone and had a few visitors from home. It was a year focused on the newcomer for sure. I am thankful.
I do have a few mini goals set for this year, 2020. (It helps to write them down and share so I am held accountable!)
- Spread more kindness. My husband shared a “great things to do” write up with me, and I was doing them all (things like shop local, be eco) except this one. I am happy, I am successful, I am content, so there is no excuse for me to not spread more kindness.
- W.A.I.T. I heard this acronym from Tom Hanks, talking about learning from Mr. Rogers. It means to ask yourself “Why Am I Talking?” in order to pinpoint when you are just babbling to hear yourself (a not so rare American phenomenon), vs. when you are sharing to make a conversation (or situation) better. It also teaches you to listen more, since you are not always focused on talking.
- Become a household free from baby bottles! Let’s do it!
- Exercise more. Since right now it’s at zero, I should be able to take one brisk walk this year to make this happen ;) Maybe even one per month?!! WHAAAT.
- Donate and be active in the 2020 election so we can replace Trumpy-dumpy.
As for this decade, I hope, and will do what I can (see this post!) to get the following BANNED from existence (all countries).
- For entertainment fireworks
- Plastic bags at store check out + produce bags
- One time use utensils, cups, plates at eateries
- Sale of fossil-fuel driven vehicles
- Factory farming
- Slave labor
- Cancer causing chemicals
- Tax loop holes
- Coal burning
- New pipelines, new gas plants, new drilling
- Palm oil
- Private jets (unless you are the president or something super important. Not a business man or actor.)
I’m sure there are many more things… What are your top 15?
I guess fireworks may seem like a silly thing, but New Years Eve just reminded me of how stupid, wasteful, harmful and useless they are. UGH. Just go away.
I am heading into this new decade with renewed hope. I think we can do this. Even as fires are raging and nothing is happening to attack the climate crisis globally, hope is what drives good humans. Not despair. And as you can see, I have two beautiful boys (we are raising to become allies, strong, open minded men like their dad) whom I must stay optimistic and focused for.
Much love and cheers to this new start!
PS. Thanks for following, reading and supporting this blog :) I only wrote seven posts in 2019 (compare that to 44 in 2017) and still had almost 20,000 views. That’s cool. Lots of people search and read my post about perioral dermatitis and plant-based nutrition, which is why I shared that personal, ugly picture of me. Doing some good in the world!